Pages

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Dips, Snacks and Wings...for that big sports event coming soon

This is a big bowl, made by my sister who sells her creations on Block Island at the Farmers' Market and online at Pottery Gal... so to me it is a...wait for it... a Super Bowl!

Yes, you can chuckle or grimace, but I'm not a sports fan but I love all the food folks eat during that ginormous game that people get so excited about. So here are some suggestions to keep your sports fanatics happy as their team wins or loses...

Wings - Chicken or Tempeh



Whether you are an omnivore or vegetarian (or some version of a non-meat eater) these recipes for "wings" are both spectacular. Chicken wings, double baked to mimic the fried texture without the oil mess? I'll take it! Or these easy tempeh "wings" will tickle your tastebuds and leave the chickens to roost.

Dips

I can never get enough of a good dip, and it's always a great way to sneak some vegetables into your snacking so that you're not all, ahem, stopped up for days after the game, if you catch my drift. These are some of my favorite ways to eat veggies dipped in decadent and delicious dips.


Aioli is hands down my favorite dip ever. What's not to love - creamy garlic and lemony goodness that would make an old shoe delectable. Make it from scratch (my tips make it fool-proof) and triple the recipe 'cuz everybody always wants more!

Of course you have to have some sort of hot cheese dip so go all out with this jalapeño popper dip, full of lots of marinated jalapeño, cheese and a crunch topping. Make it in a pottery bowl that goes from oven to table, easy peasy!

So you have guests who are vegan or can't eat dairy - don't fret! Make the magical dip of Muhammara of Morocco and wow all your eaters. Roasted red peppers, walnuts and pomegranate molasses is creamy, spicy and sweet and it will blow their minds!

Lastly, just for some color on the table (and anyone who is kind of health-food conscious) make this spinach and artichoke dip, with fresh spinach, parmesan, jalapeño and marinated artichokes. Do it a day or two in advance and the flavors deepen beautifully.

Snacks

Stuffed mushrooms, classic or tarted up are always a winner. Here I've got them with cheese and breadcrumbs or gluten free with quinoa and slow-roasted tomatoes. You can easily sub in sun-dried tomatoes and make the prep easier.


Quinoa Stuffed Mushrooms


Classic Stuffed Mushrooms

Another easy favorite snack of mine is marinated olives that you make ahead of time. A few aromatics and garlic and you have a tasty bowl that looks gourmet but is so easy to prepare.


No matter what the game outcome, you know you'll enjoy yourself eating these tasty dishes. Enjoy!

1 comment:

pepper bowl said...

During my blog hopping I landed on your blog "kirstenlindquist", and loved everything from the photographs to the writing style. I have a suggestion and a request.
Suggestion: I'm unable to see 'contact us' tab on your blog, if would great for the people like me to contact you.
Request: I have seen you have listed your favorite blogs on the sidebar. Great if you add my blog in that blog list.
my url:"http://www.pepperbowl.com", add mine if you like my blog.