Pages

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

White Pizza with Marinated Portabellos and Parsley Drizzle - Raw

Pizza really is my favorite food - it is comfort, it is sustenance, it is versatility, it is life. So when I realized that gluten really wasn't my friend, I started trying gluten free crusts, and while there are plenty to try, soooo few taste any better than sawdust. Once I started experimenting with raw foods, I knew raw pizza would be one of the first things I made.

I won't mislead you and tell you that raw pizza is better than cooked - for me, that is simply not true. However, the substantial crust along with really tasty toppings did sooth my pizza cravings in a way that gluten free crusts left me wanting. Since the crust is so different, it is more like a flatbread rather than a pizza crust, which seemed to make my inner-pizza lover happier.

As with any raw foods that require dehydration, this is not a 30 minute, throw-together meal. But I found it worth the effort! If you like eating cold pizza, you'll really enjoy raw style pizzas. I plan on doing lots more experimenting so stay tuned!

White Pizza with Marinated Portabellos and Parsley Drizzle - Raw
(serves 4-8)
(Prep time varies from 12-14 hours depending on how thick your crust is)

Crust
2 cups almond meal (from making fresh almond milk) see this post for how to
1 cup ground flax seeds
1 cup water
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt

White Sauce
1 cup cashews, soaked at least 8 hours
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water

Toppings
2 portabello mushrooms
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup parlsey, chopped fine
1 clove garlic, minced fine
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt

Combine all the ingredients for the crust and mix well to distribute all evenly. Spread on your teflex sheet in the dehydrator (either as 1 large sheet or round, or several small ones) and dehydrate 8-12 hours depending on how crisp or soft you want your crust to be. About 6 hours into the dehydration process, flip the crust and score it into pieces (squares or triangles depending on your preference). Set aside.

Slice portabello in 1/2 inch slices and marinate in olive oil and salt in plastic baggie for at least 2 hours. Dehydrate for 3-4 hours until soft but not dried. Set aside.

Rinse the soaked cashews and add yeast, salt and water and blend in blender until super smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste and spoon on top of crust spreading evenly. Arrange mushrooms on top of sauce. Combine parsley, garlic, olive oil and salt and drizzle over pizza and serve.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Sweet and Salty Chocolate Cake at Eats Well With Others
Chick Pea Burgers at Tofu Mom
Greek Shrimp and Feta Pasta at Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice

No comments: