Pages

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Fusilli with Putanesca Sauce - Happy Birthday Presto Pasta Nights!

When Ruth of Once Upon A Feast emailed me about Presto Pasta Nights' 5th anniversary, I felt like a very, very, old lady. Where did the time go? How could this be the fifth anniversary of PPN? I mean that's pre-great recession, pre-Obama presidency, pre-moving to California. Kind of shocking!

So in honor of my old age and PPN's ripe five years of bringing weekly pasta goodness to my inbox, here's my favorite quick and east pasta, Putanesca. Olives, tomatoes, capers and red pepper flakes. You really cannot go wrong with this and the sauce is ready in the time it takes to make the pasta. Super easy and delicious!

Since I have been on a vegan kick lately, there is a vegan option included, substituting parmesan cheese with nutritional yeast. Found in most natural food stores, nutritional yeast - not brewers' - has a cheesey taste that is dairy free. I was first introduced to it on popcorn - yummy! - and my friend referred to it as "hippy cheese." 

Fusilli with Putanesca Sauce

1 lb fusilli
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup olives, chopped (kalamata, oil-cured, cracked green, any you like)
1 tablespoon capers, chopped
1 15 oz can diced or pureed tomatoes
grated parmesan (optional)
nutritional yeast (vegan option)

Bring large pot of water to boil and add 1 tablespoon of salt and fusilli. Meanwhile, heat oil over high heat and saute garlic until just beginning to brown. Add tomatoes, olives, capers and red pepper flakes and cook 4-5 minutes until heated through. Drain pasta and toss with sauce. Garnish with cheese or nutritional yeast and serve.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Roasted Beets and Carrots with Goat Cheese Dressing at Stacey Snacks
Spicy Asian Shrimp Cocktail at The Perfect Pantry
Black Forest Cake at Sticky Gooey Creamy Chewy

2 comments:

pam said...

Putanesca is one of my favorite sauces! Happy Birthday PPN!

Ruth Daniels said...

Thanks for the great dish for the Presto Pasta Night party and the history lesson. I can't quite believe it's five years old either! Now we have to start building to year #10!