Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Puffy Pillowy Vegan Pancakes

In the past few months I've been making cautious excursions into the world of vegan cooking, making soyrizo, chipotle bean burgers, and generally leaving the cheese out of some dishes here and there. Venturing into the baking realm of vegan cuisine really daunted me, until I discovered my new food goddess, Isa Chandra of Post Punk Kitchen.

Wow! This chick has really got it going on in the vegan cooking department! Not only has she been doing her own local access television show on vegan cooking, but she's got that DIY streak that I love and she really tests her recipes well so I feel all safe and secure when I make her recipes. After my recent foray into homemade almond milk I checked out her blog for a way to use said milk. Voila these gorgeous pancakes. 

Following Isa Chandra's recipe 99% to a T - I skipped the vanilla extract - these were easy and simple. It is amazing how the food chemistry of vinegar, baking powder, ground flax seeds and oil can produce magic! The cooking pancakes even had the little air bubbles popping to let you know that they are ready to be flipped. So considerate of them!

You will be tempted to double the recipe since it only makes ten, but be forewarned they are very filling! My guess is that the flax seeds and all of their good fiber filled me up! Comparing my pictures with those of Isa Chandra's, I realized that I should have let the batter rest 10 minutes before cooking them up, which might explain why hers were so indecently pillowy and mine just look like dairy-style pancakes. Either way, they were delicious.

Props to Claire of Chez Cayenne for pointing me to PPK!

Puffy Pillowy Vegan Pancakes (from Post Punk Kitchen)
(makes 10)

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup almond milk (make your own)
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons neutral oil (safflower, sunflower, grapeseed)

In a large bowl sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. If you don't have a sifter, cheat and simply whisk until it is fine. Feel with your fingertips to ensure that all of the lumps, particularly the baking powder, are broken up. In a large measuring cup or small bowl combine the almond milk, cider vinegar and flax seeds and whisk vigorously until it begins to foam, about 1-2 minutes. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the almond milk mixtures. Add water and oil and stir to combine but the batter does not have to be lump free, just fully blended. Set aside to rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile heat a skillet on medium low heat for 8-10 minutes; a cast iron skillet is best. When the batter is done resting, spray the skillet with a thin coating of oil - use a Misto or the store-bought can of oil spray - and using a 1/3 measuring cup, ladle batter into the pan. Do not crowd the pan, cook 1-2 pancakes at a time. Keep them warm in an oven set at 300 degrees (I used my toaster oven). Pancakes should be flipped when a few air bubbles begin to pop. Flip and brown the other side. Serve with your favorite toppings.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Grilled Brie and Goat Cheese Sandwich with Bacon and Green Tomato at Closet Cooking
Chickpeas, Bacon and Spinach at Cinnamon Girl Recipes
Lemony Swiss Chard with Pine Nuts and Raisins at The Well-Seasoned Cook

1 comment:

granite rockville said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.