Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Homemade Ketchup - DIY Pantry

Anyone who knows me is well aware of my abhorrence of ketchup - I can't stand the stuff. Don't want it near anything that I plan to eat, won't touch any food that has touched it, squeal like a five year old brat if anyone were to brandish a french fry dipped in ketchup at me. I know it sounds very childish, which it is, leftover from some traumatic childhood incidence that clearly is too painful for me to remember. So no ketchup for me, ever.

Except when I want to make homemade BBQ sauce or Shrimp Cocktail Sauce or Chipotles in Adobo or some other delectable item that includes ketchup in its ingredient list. Then I have to purchase the evil stuff and trick my inner child into ignoring its presence until it is properly disguised in the food of desire.

In the past I have deigned to buy a bottle and allowed the half-empty container to sully my refrigerator door. But when Pinch My Salt posted a recipe for homemade ketchup, I decided to free myself from the ugly bottle.

Adapted from What Gabby Eats, this ketchup is not as sweet as store bought and decidedly more spiced with the addition of cloves and allspice. Gabby added lots of fire as well, with red pepper flakes and cayenne, fire which I left out, but feel free to add back in if you prefer.

Homemade Ketchup (adapted from What's Gabby Cooking)
(makes 2 cups)

1/2 onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
15 oz tomato puree
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup cider vinegar
1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoons ground mustard
1/8 teaspoon ground clove
1/8 teaspoon allspice
Alternatively - grind 2 cloves, 1 allspice berry, 10 mustard seeds in mortar and pestle along with the salt which helps mash it all up

In a medium sauce pan, saute the onion and garlic in olive oil until softened. Add spices and salt and saute until you can smell the spices. Add tomato paste, tomato puree, and vinegar and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 45-60 minutes until sauce thickens and flavors meld. Puree in blender or with an immersion blender after it has cooled for 5 minutes. Jar and refrigerate. Keeps for 1 month.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

PistachioOlive Oil Cake at Stacey Snacks
Spicy Pork Stew with Chick Peas and Sausage at Simply Recipes
Almond Crusted Chicken with Lemony Black Bean Relish at An Edible Mosaic

2 comments:

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

wow..sounds irresistably hearty & lipsmacking
just found your space..lovely space you have..
nice presentation with great cliks..
Am your happy follower now.;)
do stop by mine sometime
Tasty Appetite

Reeni said...

I have been wanting to make my own ketchup forever! I'm not crazy about it either but like you, I use it for other stuff. xoxo