Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Cranberry Relish with Blood Orange Juice

Yes, I know, Thanksgiving is long gone and cranberries are out of season. However, blood oranges ARE in season and when I was cleaning out the freezer I found a bag of cranberries tucked away in the corner. Eureka! Cranberries with blood orange juice was born.

My personal favorite cranberry relish for Thanksgiving is the fairly straight forward and traditional pairing of orange juice and zest with cranberries. Substituting blood oranges would simply add a bit of citrusy tartness. It was lovely!

Like my mother (a classic food hoarder), I am one of those people who stocks up on fresh cranberries when they are so plentiful in November. I love to swirl cranberry relish into baked goods as I did with this Buttermilk Cranberry Cheese Coffeecake or add them to muffins. Eating the relish chilled and plain or even on yogurt is also delicious.

Cranberries are backed with vitamin C and K as well as antioxidants that help fight free radicals (cancer-causers). They are also great at keeping your intestinal, digestive, and cleansing systems clear and running smoothly. Such helpful and delicious little berries!

Cranberry Relish with Blood Orange Juice

12 oz fresh (frozen) cranberries
1/2 cup blood orange juice (regular orange juice is ok as well)
4-5 tablespoons sugar (to taste)

Combine all ingredients in sauce pan and bring to low boil. Turn heat down to medium low and cook, slightly covered, until cranberries pop and release their juices and relish is a sauce. Allow to cool and serve. To save for later, jar hot sauce and cap with lid and then refrigerate (the heat of the sauce will help seal in the relish.) Makes 1 pint.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Mustard Chicken Legs at Stacey Snacks
Orange Olive Oil Cake at ECurry
Green Bean Salad with Fried Almonds at Smitten Kitchen

1 comment:

Nutmeg Nanny said...

The best part is that I still have bags of cranberries left in the freezer :)