Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Korean Sweet and Spicy Chicken

Poultry and I have a cagey relationship. (I know, bad pun) I like the taste of chicken, but I so rarely buy it or eat it. I enjoy game fowl - pheasant, quail - but don't hunt or have a hunter friend (I will accept frozen gifts if anyone is interested in sending something my way.) So when I do cook with chicken, I usually have to search for recipes. Enter this easy and delicious Asian bake.

I am unsure what makes it "Korean" other than the original author's experience of eating it at her Korean friend's house. I do know that it has classic flavors of soy, sweet, garlic and ginger and that's hard to argue with! I added some chili oil to ensure there was some heat, but the agave (or honey if you prefer) definitely tempers it!

Korean Sweet and Spicy Chicken 
(from Dinosaur Dishes)

6 chicken thighs bone in and skin on
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons dark sesame oil
3 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger (I used the punch hole side of an upright grater)
3 tablespoons agave
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
9 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chili oil

Combine all and mix well. Pour over chicken wings (in glass dish or plastic zip lock bag) and marinate for 24 hours (cover the dish if using it). Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake chicken for 30-40 minutes until done. Serve.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:
Meyer Lemon Curd at Sprouted Kitchen
Rack of Lamb with Pimenton at The Minimalist
Black Bean Cakes with Simple Guacamole at Stacey Snacks

2 comments:

Reeni said...

What an amazing chicken dish Kerstin! I love the sweet and spicy flavors. We eat a lot of chicken in my house - always on the lookout for good recipes. xoxo

Lisa said...

This is one of my all-time favorite dinners. I always request it when I go home for holidays. Yours look every bit as delicious.