Pages

Friday, December 31, 2010

Welcome to 2011 and a Look Back at 2010

When I was a child, one of my favorite things to do before Christmas (which is what we celebrated) was to watch the "claymation" special of Rudolph's Shiny New Year. It just made my season, and I watched it up until I left home for college (yup, 18 years old and watching claymation!) It was one of those yearly events that makes me remember my childhood with great fondness. It is the reason why December is still one of my favorite times of the year regardless of its religious significance in my life.

I like to think everyone's new year begins shiny, and with that in mind, remember the goodies of the past 12 months as inspiration for the next.

So picture me raising a glass of bubbly to you all and wishing you joy, love, good food and great times with loved ones in 2011!

Top 10 posts of 2010 (as selected by my readers, according to Google Analytics)




10. Mediterranean Style Chick Pea and Kale Soup
A hearty bean soup, that ages well. It's a great way to use up veggies but also makes it easy to try out kale if you are just beginning to dip your toe into that pool.




9. Cream Chicken and Mushrooms over Biscuits
This looks decadent but it is really great comfort food. All the effort goes into making the biscuits, so make it one night when you have leftover chicken (rotisserie from the store works great!)




8. Shredded Purple Turnip Salad
If you are venturing out into your local farmers market, ask around for purple turnips - not purple topped, but purple (they look pink) ones. They are sweeter than their more common cousins and you do not have to cook them to enjoy their goodness!






7. Italian Quick Pickles
I was happily surprised that this post was so popular - I guess I am not the only sour-aholic out there! Preserving food in any way is always fun, rather like a successful science experiment. Bring the kids into the mix, their enthusiasm may surpass yours!




6. Asian Salad with Mandarin Oranges
Sweet citrus goes so well with Asian flavors, and there are so many lesser known citrus fruits out there. Explore and find new combinations!



5. Corn and Jicama Salad
Jicama is one of those ingredients (it is a root which makes it a vegetable but kind of simulates fruit with its crunchy sweetness) that I wish more people would discover. Kids especially would love to eat this edible tuber and it introduces adventure into eating.



4. Bacon, Kale, Blue Cheese Pasta Al Forno
Bacon, Blue Cheese, and Pasta, baked into gooey submission. No wonder this post was the fourth most viewed. Oh, right, there is some green vegetable in there so you don't feel too guilty!




3. Spinach Scaciatta
This truly is the love of my life foodwise (tied only with pizza). How can you beat garlickly spinach, cheese and sausage wrapped in pizza dough? That is an impossible task!



2. Coriander Chutney
This is probably my favorite condiment of all times (sometimes homemade aioli or harissa overshadow it, but not for long). Cilantro is my favorite herb, so it is no surprise then that this chutney is at the top of my list.

And finally, the most viewed post is....

1. Garlic Lovers Pasta
This isn't even my own recipe, but one widely made throughout the Minnesota Food Co-op world. But I suppose there is a reason that so many co-op delis sell it - it really is that good. What is so surprising is the creamy sauce that isn't heavy or thick. The secret is buttermilk and lemon juice mixed with the mayonnaise - it is the perfect balance to the loads of garlic.

Thanks for reading folks, I appreciate every view, every comment, and look forward to spending more time with you all as we cook and eat our way into the new decade!

Hugs!

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Happy New Year Kirsten!

Those pasta dishes are calling to me in 2011. Delicious!