Pages

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Garlic Butter Roasted Mushrooms

Reading food blogs is dangerous. D-A-N-G-E-R-O-U-S, I tell you, chaos making!

Just when I think I've got it all under control, dishes mapped out for this crazy time of year, no missed days, I read someone's blog post and all that great planning goes flying away like a reindeer over the rooftops.

I admit I should have known better. I should have immediately clicked the window closed when I saw the luscious picture of browned mushrooms. But I'm weak, and feeble, particularly at this time of year when it comes to mushrooms. And when I read that this recipe mimicked the sauce used for escargots (garlic, butter, parsley and lemon, oh my!) I knew I was a goner. So I bought some cremini mushrooms (thrilled to see so many tiny little caps!) and made this delicious recipe. Thank heavens, I mean, too bad my roommate wasn't around to help eat it!

I suppose you could share this dish, and perhaps serve it as an appetizer, using toothpicks for those worried about getting their clothes soiled with melted butter. The less elegant of the crowd just sop it all up with bread (that would be me with the butter dribbling down my chin), sighing with delight...!

Garlic Butter Roasted Mushrooms from Smitten Kitchen
(which she borrowed from Gourmet.com)

1 pound mushrooms such as cremini or white, halved lengthwise if large
2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and chopped
3 large garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
lots ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Toss mushrooms with capers, garlic, oil, salt, and pepper in a 1 1/2- to 2-qt shallow baking dish. Top with butter and roast, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender and golden and bubbly garlic sauce forms below, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and parsley. Serve immediately, with crusty bread on the side for swiping up the juices.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Savory Baked Yeast Donuts at An Edible Mosiac
Shrimp with Scallions and Garlic in Chile Tamari Sauce at ECurry
Armenian Apricot Soup at 101 Cookbooks

No comments: