Pages

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Lamb and Coriander Chutney Pasty in Hot Water Pastry

One of the best parts of spending my junior year of college in Paris was traveling to other places. I spent Christmas in Italy, Easter on the Riviera and Spring Break in the United Kingdom, where I ate my first "Pasty."

Pasties - which look like a turnover but have savory rather than sweet fillings - are amazingly delicious and the traditional street food of Cornwall and Wales. I had them in Penzance (yes, of the same fame as the pirates of); pastry dough wrapped around seasoned meat (lamb, beef) or potatoes, turnips, and other root veggies. So good!

I recently came across a post in the food blog world (cannot remember exactly where) that reminded me of these treats and when I noticed that they were made with a dough called "Hot Water Pastry" I knew I had to give it a try.

Hot Water Pastry is ingenious! Boil water, add the shortening or butter and salt and then stir in the flour. So simple and makes the flakiest crust I have ever made. I happened to have some lamb patties that I had made (but was disappointed with so didn't blog about them) and they made a perfect filling. Topping them with some coriander chutney was a flash of brilliance, if I do say so myself!

Lamb and Coriander Chutney Pasty in Hot Water Pastry

Hot Water Pastry  (I found this recipe)
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup water
1/2 lb (2 sticks) butter, cubed
1/2 teaspoon salt

Bring water to boil and remove from heat. Add butter and salt and whisk until butter is completely melted. Add flour and stir well to combine. Place in the refrigerator until cold (at least 45 minutes). Make filling.

Filling
1/2 lb ground lamb
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup cooked grains (I used kasha)
1/2 onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted and ground in mortar and pestle
2 teaspoons paprika
1 tablespoon mint, minced
1/2 cup pomegranate molasses
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons coriander chutney (optional)

In large skillet heat oil over high heat and add onion and garlic and cook until translucent. Add ground lamb and cook until browned, 5-8 minutes. Add cumin, pomegranate molasses and paprika and cook until pomegranate molasses is absorbed. Add salt to taste and remove from heat. Mix in minced mint.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove dough from refrigerator and break into 6 equal parts; refrain from handling dough as it will toughen with overhandling. Pat dough flat (or use rolling pin) into circle about 1/4 inch thick. Place 3-4 tablespoons meat mixture on half of circle, leaving at least 1/2 inch border and spread 1 tablespoon of coriander chutney on top if using. Carefully close pasty (use a sharp knife to scrape the dough off the board) and seal with the tines of a fork. Place on foil lined baking sheet and repeat to use remaining dough and filling. Poke 3-4 holes in tops of pasties and bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Turn down oven to 300 degrees and bake for another 60 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest at least 5 minutes.

Hugs!

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Green Bean Slaw at 101 Cookbooks
Spaghetti Squash Gratin at Sticky Gooey Creamy Chewy
Grilled Eggplant Gratin at Stacey Snacks

1 comment:

Faith said...

Kirsten,
My hubby loves anything with lamb and I am going to suprise him and make this for him sometime if he's nice :).

Thanks for the recipe!