Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

White Sangria with Berries and Peaches

"Summer is here and the time is right, for dancing in the streets." Do you know the tune? Mick Jagger and David Bowie reprised it in the mid 1980's during my teenage years and that's the soundtrack that always runs through my mind when I make fun summer drinks, like sangria.

Most people are familiar with the traditional red sangria - made with citrus fruit and red Rioja wine. But a few years back I discovered white Sangria and found I prefer it. White sangria is lighter and, to tell the truth, since it's easier to see the fruit in your glass, I find it more appealing to serve to guests.

As with so many "country" style recipes, there is a different version depending on who's making it. I like my white with peaches and berries, but that's just my preference. Experiment with what you like and what looks good at the grocery store. Don't skimp on the sugar or the additional liquor, it does make a difference!

White Sangria with Berries and Peaches

1 bottle dry white wine (Spanish is preferred, like a Rioja or other dry white blend)
1 peach, pitted and sliced
1/4 lb strawberries, trimmed and cut
1/4 cup raspberries
1/4 cup blackberries
3 tablespoons sugar
3 shots brandy or fruity liquor (triple sec, grand marnier)
frozen grapes (optional garnish)
sparkling water or club soda (optional)

Combine all but wine in glass pitcher and toss to soak in sugar and liquor. Add wine and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours (longer is better). Either serve in chilled wine glasses or fill large drinking glass half full with sangria and top off with sparking water and add frozen grapes to keep drink chilled.

Recipes currently inspiring me:

Wine You'd Be Happy to Drink at The Perfect Pantry
Herb and Cheese Pasta Salad at Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice

Hugs!

No comments: