Pages

Friday, April 9, 2010

Spring Peas with Mint

It has literally been more than two decades since my family has ate Easter dinner together, when my sisters and I were all teenagers. It's just my mom, my two sisters and me but we've been nomadic for more than twenty years (living in more than 20 places between the four of us) and not in the same place. So while none of us are particularly religious in the traditional sense, we do all love food and Easter is a celebration of Spring and renewal, no matter your religious affiliation.

We decided to make a very Spring menu of lamb, asparagus, peas and new potatoes, grilling the marinated lamb chops and asparagus and making some fresh peas. Fresh peas are so delicious that you really don't need to do much with them. But to make them a bit more festive I barely heat them in melted butter with some fresh mint. The mint is so crisp and fresh that it actually makes the peas taste even better. Trust me, this is the truth!

Spring Peas with Mint

2 cups shelled peas (frozen peas, defrosted and drained will work as well)
2 tablespoons butter
4-5 large mint leaves, chiffonaded (Stack leaves and roll and cut into slivers)
salt

Melt butter in large skillet on medium heat, do not allow to brown. Add peas and mint and continuously stir to coat with the butter; you will begin to get a whiff of the mint. Remove from heat and salt if desired.

Hugs!

1 comment:

Claudia said...

This is a dish that sings spring. Just waiting for the fresh new baby peas. My mint is up. Love it for all its simplicity.