Pages

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Mediterranean Style Chick Pea, Kale and Tomato Soup

Chick peas, garbanzo beans, or "ceci" are all names of one of the only legumes native to Europe and the Mediterranean area in particular. They are also the ingredient for March's No Croutons Required challenge.

I loved this challenge because I struggle being creative with chick peas, usually just making hummus out of them. So I definitely can't wait to see what other folks come up with.

This was one of those "kitchen sink" soups where I kept adding ingredients to get rid of some leftovers in the refrigerator. I had some leftover tomato sauce from making ravioli and added that to the soup along with some kale that needed to be used up. Happily, kale is the ingredient for Co-opportunity's recipe of the month, so this soup works for two challenges.

Mediterranean Style Chick Pea, Kale and Tomato Soup

1 can chick peas with liquid (or 1 1/2 cup cooked with liquid)
1 small bunch kale, washed, torn into small pieces (without stalks)
1 large carrot
2 stalks celery
1 small onion
1 small shallot
olive oil
2 cups water
1 cup tomato sauce (recipe here)
OR 1 cup tomato sauce with 2 tablespoons cream or 1/2 and 1/2
juice of 1 lemon or 1 teaspoon preserved lemon, minced
salt
pepper

Saute onion and shallots in olive oil until translucent. Add carrots and celery and cook another 3-4 minutes until softened. Add chick peas and liquid and bring to boil. Add tomato sauce and bring back to boil. Add in kale, preserved lemon or lemon juice and cook 2-3 minutes until kale becomes bright green. Season with salt and pepper (carefully if you use preserved lemon which is already very salty).

Hugs!

5 comments:

Kristen said...

I love chickpeas, really love them! Kitchen sink soup is the best and to think I used to be afraid of soup.

Anonymous said...

Kirsten I just noticed I got some visitors from your blog so I came to see what you are all about. I love your blog. Thanks for the link and I will return the favor on my blogroll. I also happen to love chick peas and have a few recipes using them.

Kirsten Lindquist said...

Thanks for the lovely comments all! Kristen, check out Soup Chick, it's a great blog on soup.

Italian Mama Chef, (LOVE THAT NAME!) I'll definitely check out your chick pea recipes.

Sophie, I love your spirit and your blog. thanks for including me!

Alice said...

I too love ceci!

Lisa Turner said...

Lovely creation! Thanks so much for your submission.