Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Shredded Purple Turnip Salad

One of the best parts of the local food explosion and the proliferation of farmers' markets is learning about new vegetables, like the purple turnip. They're sweeter then common turnips and soft and tender like Tokyo turnips (sometimes known as salad turnips).


While I enjoy common purple topped turnips, I love raw veggie salads and these gorgeous purple turnips are wonderful raw. At first glance they look like giant radishes but they are actually sweeter than most radishes. Give them a try if you find them!




Shredded Purple Turnip Salad

2 purple turnips, shredded
1/2 cup cilantro, minced
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
pepper

Combine all and toss well.

Hugs!

1 comment:

Sarah S. said...

I wonder if I could turn my roommate onto these, I've only served her the regular sort of turnips once and they were too bitter for her. I'm sure I'd like these.