Pages

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Apple Crumble - Guest Post


I am always trying to recruit folks to be a guest blogger and I finally convinced someone to be the first. I hope you enjoy Christine's Apple Crumble, I know I did!

Hi everyone, I'm Christine and I have been living in Southern California for the past two years. And while I love the warmth and palm trees, I've been missing the fall of the East Coast and fresh apples in particular. This is my second attempt at making an upside down apple tart and I have to say that I think it turned out pretty well!

I tried to reduce the calories by using Truvia, a naturally derived sweetner from the stevia plant, but you're welcome to use regular sugar. Dusting the crumble with brown sugar before placing in the oven helped it have that caramelized look that makes it so inviting.



Apple Crumble

3 large apples, cored, cut in inch cubes
3-4 teaspoons cinnamon
2 packets of truvia (stevia derived sweetner) or 4 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup oat flour (or whole wheat works)
1/2 cup rolled oats
7 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon brown sugar

Preheat oven 375. Toss apples with cinnamon, sweetner or sugar and pour into oven-ready skillet. In separate bowl cut 5 tablespoons of butter into oat flour, rolled oats and salt until it resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping and brown sugar over apples and dab 3 tablespoons butter over top. Bake for 40 minutes or until topping is browned and crispy. Remove from oven and allow to rest 5 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

1 comment:

Toni said...

That looks so good Christine!