Pages

Friday, October 30, 2009

Super Garlicky Shrimp

I love garlic, always have and suspect I always will. I love to peel it, chop it up and toss it into the pan to smell it sizzling in hot olive oil. Combining this love with my obsession with shrimp and you have a perfect really quick meal that is good tossed on rice or with pasta or on a bed of salad greens.

I've noticed lately that, for whatever reason, I find making shrimp to be slightly decadent. Maybe it's because growing up we only had it occasionally and usually when we were on vacation, or perhaps because I have usually conceived of it as an expensive food item that I couldn't afford. But lately, living near a Trader Joe's Store, I can't get enough of it. So here's my recipe for super garlicky lemon shrimp.

Garlicky Lemon Shrimp

10 raw shrimp, deshelled and deveined
3-4 large cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 lemon
1/3 cup cilantro, minced

In skillet or cast iron pan heat oil until nearly smoking. Add garlic and stir constantly until it just begins to color. Add shrimp and cook on one side until it turns pink; turn over to cook other side (total of about 2 minutes). Squeeze lemon juice over all to deglaze pan and remove from heat. Serve on cooked grains or a bed of salad greens garnished with cilantro.

Hugs!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mmm, garlic prawns are one of our favourite quick and easy meals. We sometimes turn them into chowder with a lovely splash of double cream but often eat them just like this (and in summer with out fingers straight from the pan!)