Pages

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Garlic Lemon Broccoli

There is a chain restaurant in the D.C. area called Maggiano's, and it is known for its family style portions. While it isn't the most spectacular Italian food, one of it's signature vegetable dishes is Garlic Lemon Broccoli and on many occasions I would share some with my core group of girlfiends, known as The Girl Posse.

Last night I attempted to recreate this dish and was thrilled to be so successful! I know that creating a dish with garlic, lemon and broccoli shouldn't be that hard of a feat, but I feared that there was something that the restaurant did that I wouldn't have figured out and it wouldn't have tasted as wonderful. Happily, that wasn't the case. It turns out that steaming broccoli and then pouring quickly sauteed garlic over it and squeezing a bit of lemon on top was all I needed to make a super delicious dish of broccoli! This is worthy of any dinner party or fancy meal and yet very easy to make. I can't believe it took me so long to tackle it!

Garlic Lemon Broccoli

1 bunch broccoli, chopped into equal size pieces (including trimmed stalks)
3 large cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 lemon, not yet juiced
salt to taste

In large pot, steam broccoli until al dente. Drain and set aside in cooking pot with lid on. In saute pan, heat olive oil on high for 1-2 minutes and then add garlic and cook until just beginning to brown. Remove from heat and pour oil and garlic over broccoli and toss to coat. Squeeze (or ream) lemon half over broccoli and toss to mix well. Add salt to taste and additional olive oil if desired. Serve immediately or at room temperature.

Hugs!

No comments: