Pages

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Cream of Tomato and Basil Soup

Halloween is nearly upon us and looking over my recent posts I clearly am receiving subliminal messages to make orange food. From the Bengali Masar Dal Soup to the Thai Ginger Carrot Soup to today's edition of Cream of Tomato and Basil Soup Halloween is clearly working its magic on me.

I was introduced to this soup at Just Food Co-op, and having previously been a tomato soup hater I was pleasantly surprised by this delicious concoction. Lots of basil and a touch of sweet cream makes this a spectacular comfort food that you'll love to make since you can whip it up in 20 minutes.

The happy inspiration for making this particular soup was the abundance of heirloom tomatoes still at our farmers' market this weekend. While this soup is wonderful made with canned tomatoes, I decided to use the fresh ones for extra sweetness. Delicious!

Cream of Tomato and Basil (4 servings)

3 large tomatoes, cored and pureed in blender (or 15 oz can chopped tomatoes
1/2 large onion, diced
1 stalk celery, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup fresh basil, packed, chopped
1/4 cup whipping cream (or 1/3 cup 1/2 and 1/2 but cream works best!)
1-2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
salt
pepper

Saute the onions in the olive oil until translucent. Add carrots and celery and cook another 3-5 minutes until soft. Add tomatoes and basil and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 2 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and then cream. Puree in batches in a blender and season with salt and pepper.

Hugs!

2 comments:

laura k said...

Ooh yum. Fall is always soup weather to me, but I've never made a cream of tomato soup. I will definitely have to try this!

Sarah S. said...

I made this, and it was super yum!! Thanks for sharing it :)