Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tropical Tequila Fruit Salad

Since I really detest proselytizing of any sort, I keep a pretty low profile on my locavore leanings (locavore = someone who eats locally grown/raised food as much as possible). But I have quietly been a locavore for about two years, here in California and in Minnesota. However, when I make an exception, I go all out. Case in point is this utterly refreshing and delicious tropical salad my mom and I concocted a few weeks ago.

While California may be a growers paradise, you still can't grow pineapple here and kiwi is pretty rare as well. Otherwise, the rest of the ingredients are common summer ingredients. But mixed together they created an elixir of flavors that is pretty superb. I added a dash of tequila since it's my favorite liquor and my mom happened to have one of those tiny bottles on hand (which just called out to be used, it was too cute for words!) You can always leave out the liquor, but it's aroma is unique and adds just a dash of decadence!

Tropical Tequila Fruit Salad

1/2 lb cubed pineapple (or 1 16 oz can, drained, save juice for another recipe)
3 kiwi, peeled, sliced in rounds and halved
2 green onions, sliced thin
2 avocados, diced
1 orange
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (fresh mint would be a good substitute as well)
1 teaspoon tequila (optional)

Combine pineapple, kiwi, green onions and avocado in bowl. Peel the orange over the bowl of fruit using a parring knife, cutting off ends first, and then cut down the sides to expose the sections of the fruit. Cut out the sections, slicing along the membranes to release the fruit. Allow the juice to drip into the salad. Add the tequila if using and the cilantro and mix well. Serve immediately or chilled.

P.S. I hope to find my camera in storage soon so that the pictures will be of the food described in the recipes!

Hugs!

No comments: