Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Fresh Herb Potato Salad

Although I grew up on the East Coast, both of my parents were from the Midwest and my sisters and I definitely grew up on a meat and potatoes diet. I still love potatoes in any season but I particularly love them in the summer in potato salad.

My mom is from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, which is home to many German Americans like herself, so the potato salad I grew up with was usually hot and full of vinegar and kielbasa sausage. While I love the vinegar I am less inclined towards a warm potato salad in the middle of a hot California Summer. So I whipped up a lighter version with lots of fresh herbs and just a little crunch from red onions and celery.

As you'll see from the picture, I used a mix of potatoes, blue, red and yellow, but it doesn't taste any different if you just use one type, it's just prettier with the mix.

Herbed Potato Salad


Red, yellow and blue potatoes, 1-2 of each depending on the size
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
2/3 cup fresh minced herbs (parsley, thyme, basil, tarragon, chives, dill)
1 stalk celery, minced
2 slices red onion, minced
Pepper to taste

Cook potatoes whole in boiling water until tender. Drain and as soon as you're able to touch them, cut into bite size pieces and sprinkle with salt and vinegar and toss well. This is a crucial step to allow the vinegar to soak into the still warm potatoes. Allow to sit while you prepare herbs, celery and onion. Add to potatoes, add olive oil and salt and pepper as needed. Add additional vinegar to taste. Serve immediately or at room temperature.

Note: Using other fresh herbs like mint or cilantro would also work but I would avoid sage or rosemary, of if you want to use them, only use sage and rosemary since their flavors are a little heavier and earthier than the light ones of thyme, basil and tarragon.

Hugs!

No comments: