Pages

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Chicken Tacos, Fajita Style

When I was small, tacos were seasoned ground beef in a hard corn shell. I loved them and they were definitely a treat since my mom didn't make them that often. Over the years, as Taco Bell has become a mainstay of cheap Mexican food, I fell out of love with tacos, they just lost that pizazz. Until I had a fish taco. What a revelation! Crispy fish, crunchy cabbage and a creamy secret sauce is such an amazing combination. It has opened my eyes to new possibilities!

Since I was without fish the other night, I searched the frig for a good substitute and thought up this chicken variation. I marinated the chicken in lime juice and some fresh hot green chilies for about 15 minutes, sauteed them quickly in a hot pan and Voila, I had Chicken Tacos, fajita style!

Chicken Tacos Fajita Style


2 chicken thighs (per person) cut into strips
2 limes (or lemons) juiced
2-3 green chilies, cut in half (deseeded for less heat)
pinch of salt
chopped red onion
chopped cilantro
chopped tomato
slices of avocado (or mash the avocado with some garlic, cilantro, lime or lemon juice, and salt for a quick guacamole)
flour or corn tortillas
Lemon or lime slices

Drain the chicken and saute it in a tablespoon of olive oil on high heat until it begins to brown. Transfer to tortillas and add onion, tomato, cilantro and avocado (or guacamole) to taste. Squeeze lemon or lime over all and eat immediately.

P.S. I strongly recommend making or using either guacamole or a prepared salsa because this can seem a little dry. I left the avocado unmashed for the picture!

Hugs!

No comments: